Saturday, February 15, 2014

Ms. Yard- Measurement Story

Last Year: In all of my years of teacher I never had a difficult time with students learning unit conversations for length, but I am glad this class did. As I went over the concept over and over again I realized that my students had difficulty remembering the numbers that will help them convert the measurement. They knew how to do convert the measurement but didn't know the essential facts. 

On the spot I created Ms. Yard, which I created as a spin on Dan
Gutman's Weird School Series books that my class and I love. After I told my class Ms. Yard's story they all remembered the simple facts and were easily able to convert the units.

This year I was excited to teach this concept once more using Ms. Yard's story. Just like last year this was a great success and my student's loved it! The story changed a little bit but it still had the same outcome. Students knew the measurements and their equivalents. 

Here is a ScreenChomp lesson recording of Ms. Yard's story. 


I hope your students and you enjoy this story. 

No comments:

Post a Comment