Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Perimeter and Area Idea

I did this evaluation project with my class and my students enjoyed it. 
The sames are the same for both perimeter and area the only difference is  the product and last step. 

I know this idea is not new and someone else may have already posted it somewhere, I know there is something like this in the investigation math series, but I have modified it so that students can partition the rectangles how the common core states. 

1. Take a piece of paper and fold it into eights. 

2. Cut out all eight pieces. 


3. Take one rectangle and fold it into fourths and trace. (Do not say anything about four) Ask: What is the area/perimeter of the rectangle?

4. Take another rectangle and fold it into sixteenth. (Do not say anything about sixteen) Ask: What is the area/perimeter of the rectangle?

5. Ask: Why do we have a different area/perimeter if it is the same shape and size? Discuss how many products that we buy have different measurement on the same product.

6. Fold all the rectangles into sixteenths. 

7. Cut out different shapes, that have different areas/perimeters using the rectangles. 

8.  Students are to find area/perimeter for each shape. The they are to arrange them from greatest to least or least to greatest. 
For area: I used sentence strips to order them. Next to each shape the students wrote the area using the square unit label. 

For perimeter I had students order them on paper so that students could also show the method that they use to find the perimeter of the shape. They are also to label each shape using units. 
This is also a great idea for a bulletin board. My students really enjoyed cutting the shapes out and ordering them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment