Thursday, March 8, 2012

Read Across America Day

What a fun day where student's and teacher's creativity is let loose. Dr. Seuss Day!!!

Organizing this event is one of the most exciting times of the year. I get to be crazy and silly with my planning. This year especially. Even though I planned it in a weeks time, it was a great success with lots of excellent readers and team members who were willing to be creative with me.

The invitation was a lot of fun to do. I got to be creative and funny as I wanted to make presenters feel a need to join us by not sending the traditional formal letter, but an informal invitation especially since I was organizing this event at the last minute.

Creating the invitation wasn't all the fun I had.


Gathering ideas to decorate and feed the readers was also a lot of fun. I searched and searched and found some great ideas.
Thing One and Thing Two cupcakes. My friend Mrs. McCartney created those delicious beautiful cupcakes. They were to die for. Red velvet with either blue cotton cotton or blue icing on top. The most difficult task about the cupcake project was finding the blue cotton candy. Mrs. McCartney and I searched everywhere to find it, we ended up buying a tub at Wal-Mart that was white and blue cotton candy. 
Not only that, but I created a blue jello with multi-color fish in them for One fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish. All delirious food in honor of Dr. Seuss.The presenters were not the only ones to enjoy the jello with fish.
 My students made their own jello by following the directions on how to make it and then putting in their fish. They enjoyed this experience a lot. Yummy! I had never realized that there was blue jello until I went to do this project. With 5 jello boxes I was able to do enough for 20 students. The funniest part, is when students I asked that the box states the serving size is 4 (1/2 cup), so how many boxes do each table of 4 students needs in order for every person in their table to get half a cup? I had 3 boxes, 4 boxes, and one person said 1 box. LOL We need to do more logic projects.

One of the gifts the presenters received were a book marker made by ME! With the help of my students who colored the books and drew a Dr. Seuss picture on the back. Mrs. McCartney got this cute ribbon like material that made it look cooky and when placed on the back pocket like a wocket in my back pocket. You can get the book mark poem here for free.









 Two of our wonderful readers in our Read Across America Day!


                         Ms. Lauren did a wonderful job with this sign. Since our school is a huge building and many readers              
were here for the first time. I had seen this idea online, but 
                         didn't know how or have the time to execute this project. So I asked Ms. Lauren. She did a fab job. She is so creative. I made some quotes to place on it to guide the presenters. It was one of the fan favorite decorations for that day. Some staff members even want to make it a permanent object in our school.Sayings:
Barber, baby bumblebee, come read in second grade with me.
To the office or library where will you go?
Oh me! Oh my! Oh me! Oh my! First grades this way, come on by.
Big T, little T, what begins with T? Third Grade
Some chairs are high and some are low off to kindergarten we go!

Seems like fun? Well that was not all. My class got a special treat of Green eggs and ham!
I do not know why? But my picture does not want to come out right. But you can see how, my kids had fun eating green eggs and ham!.

No comments:

Post a Comment