Monday, March 3, 2014

Dr. Seuss Report


As we are studying nonfiction text and celebrating Dr. Seuss's birthday I decided to create a report template that students can use to learn about Dr. Seuss and practice most of their nonfiction concepts.

Plus it makes a great bulletin board display.

I was amazed with the amount of excitement and interest from my students. It may be that I just have a strange group of kids but I am glad that they loved this activity and where engaged. The outcome was exciting especially with the amount of knowledge they gained form this experience.

The report has three pages which I glued to a long construction paper and folded the paper like a folder or you could simply use a folder.

The report consisted of students writing a summary of Dr. Seuss childhood, college, adult life, achievements, and challenges. They also had to choose one cause and effect moment from Dr. Seuss life. Students also had a series of 5 questions to answer by looking back to the passages that I had given them. Students also had to complete a Venn diagram to compare and contrast two articles that I had given them about Dr. Seuss. With this report I introduced the concept of a timeline. For the Timeline we used Seussville which contains a timeline of Dr. Seuss's life.

I wasn't going to end my report there. I also had the students glue examples of different text features they encountered on the back of their report with the name of the text feature and a way that the text feature helped them with their report/reading.

I gave my students three articles to read and analyze:
1. Edhelper Dr. Seuss by Brandi Waters
2. Scholatic News: Get to Know Seuss
3. Biography : Theodore Seuss Geisel by Samantha McClure with Teaching on Cedar Street (This was a wonderful story!!!)
Over all my students and I loved this report and experience. If you would like to get this report you can find it here

No comments:

Post a Comment