Sunday, September 16, 2012

Referencing

As part of my Master's work I have learned how to reference my sources using the APA 6th edition style. It has been a learning experience and I am excited to share that learning with my students. 

We have started our Common Core Unit on bats and as part of our final assignment the students will write a report about a particular bat and reference the source for their information.  

I started by teaching how to reference a website that they would use. Students learned the basics of referencing a website and where to find the information that they needed. 
Once my students understood the basics of referencing a website (since that is what we were using at the time). I continued to build upon that with the basics of referencing a book. Just like the website reference students did not only have to learn how to create a reference but also how to find the components in the book. 
Once all of it was put together I am proud to show what my 3rd graders have learned. They did not only learn about bats, learning about the different information that is found in a website or book, but also APA formatting for referencing. I am a proud teacher. 

No comments:

Post a Comment