Friday, March 30, 2012

PD

During our Tuesday all day PD for 2nd grade, we were asked to come up with an activity using one of the methods for vocabulary development. My school's 2nd grade team and I discussed different ideas. We finally agreed upon Word Association. Our document said:

Word Association (adopted from Anita Archer Material)
*Present a number of words. (obstacle, district, desperation, amplify)
*Play. . .  Select word. Defend your choice. (What word goes best with the word politics. Tell your partner your choice. )

As soon as we agreed upon that activity I thought about the game In a Pickle.It is a fun exciting game where you have to put nouns that go into each other.

With the two ideas in mine we designed a game where students associated math vocabulary to each other. This was a great way for students reference back to what words relate to what concept and what concepts relate to another concept.
After our presentation I went home and made the game a reality as I created it on the computer. It consist of 1 cover page, 1 direction game, and 16 pages of 6 vocabulary flash cards.
This is how I have organized mine. I have a total of 3 sets here for 3 groups to play.
Click on the link to buy you copy of the game: All in the Family

My students have played the game and just love it. They said it was fun, funny, and it makes them think.

No comments:

Post a Comment